12th consecutive year the organization has been recognized for its commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Kaiser Permanente’s commitment to diversity and inclusion has been inextricably linked to our mission of improving the health of our members and the communities we serve since our founding more than 70 years ago,” said Chairman and CEO Bernard J. Tyson. “We are proud to be recognized as a champion of diversity and inclusion, because we know that by welcoming differences rather than seeing them as barriers, we are in a stronger position to serve our members.”
For the 12th year in a row, Kaiser Permanente has been nationally recognized as a leader in diversity and inclusion by achieving No. 2 on DiversityInc’s 2017 Top 50 Companies for Diversity® list. We are also the only health care company in the top 10.
Our commitment continues today in the diversity of our workforce, which in turn allow us to deliver on our promise of providing high-quality, affordable, and culturally competent health care. KP’s diversity and inclusion strategy and framework is fully integrated into everything we do — from the care we deliver in our medical facilities to our support of diverse and thriving communities.
DiversityInc has administered its Top 50 Companies survey since 2001. Kaiser Permanente previously ranked #1 in 2016 and in 2011, and has been named to the Top 50 list every year since 2006. The list identifies companies that excel in their practice of inclusion in areas including hiring, retaining and promoting women, minorities, people with disabilities, LGBT individuals and veterans.
“This tremendous honor is the result of the diligence and commitment by the entire Kaiser Permanente community to fostering diversity and inclusion,” said Ronald L. Copeland, MD, senior vice president and chief diversity and inclusion officer. “Day in and day out, we strive to create equitable health and health care outcomes for our more than 11.3 million members, and this is a pivotal element in being able to achieve that goal.”
DiversityInc also announced a number of Specialty Lists and Kaiser Permanente ranked:
- No. 3 in the DiversityInc Top 13 Companies for Recruitment
- No. 8 in the DiversityInc Top 11 Companies for Supplier Diversity
- No. 7 in the DiversityInc Top 13 Companies for Diversity Councils
- No. 7 in the DiversityInc Top 15 Companies for Veterans
- Among the DiversityInc Top Companies for LGBT Employees
These rankings reflected a year of continued progress in our diversity and inclusion strategy, which included highlights such as:
- Having all 38 of Kaiser Permanente’s hospitals recognized as a “Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality” by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation
- Earning the number three spot on the 2017 Military Friendly Top Ten Gold Employer list in the nonprofit category
- Working with the National Organization on Disability (NOD) to launch a project to shape a scalable and sustainable Disability Inclusion Program
- Being a founding member of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture
DiversityInc announced its Top 50 Companies for Diversity on Tuesday, May 2, 2017, at a gala in New York City. As part of this recognition, Kaiser Permanente will be featured throughout the year on www.DiversityInc.com and in DiversityInc Magazine.