The Kaiser Permanente Thriving Schools Honor Roll awards program recognizes individuals who are championing sustainable, healthy school environments. The program celebrates successes, recognizes innovation, and elevates best practices so that we can all be inspired.
Dr. Dallas Dance, Baltimore County Public Schools Superintendent, was among the 2015 Thriving Schools Honor Roll Champions for his commitment to engaging school employees in healthy activities throughout the year. Baltimore County is among the largest school systems in the nation — 110,000 students, 19,000 employees and 173 schools, so this was no small feat.
In February 2015, Dr. Dance asked Baltimore County Public Schools employees to engage in healthy activities to show their commitment to good health, and to make it fun, he made it a friendly competition.
Dr. Dance encouraged teachers and schools to be part of the competition. His support was instrumental to its success. The response was tremendous – 78 schools submitted entries. The top five sites received awards, with the first place winner receiving a staff room lounge remodel, sponsored by Kaiser Permanente’s Healthworks department.
For “Rock Your Red” Day on Feb. 19, school employees wore red to symbolize their participation in the year’s campaign. Dr. Dance united Baltimore students, staff, and community into Team BCPS and is leading them toward a healthier tomorrow.
The Thriving Schools Honor Roll Champions serve as staff, teachers, youth, parents, school or community leaders, and union leaders who:
- Engage in promoting healthy school communities for students and staff through strategies such as:
- Creating school systems and environments that promote and support healthy eating and physical activity
- Creating school systems and environments that promote and support social and emotional health and wellness
- Leading policy change to support student and staff wellness
- Improving school climate
- Demonstrate vision, creativity, and a collaborative spirit in championing sustainable changes at schools
- Inspire other school community members to take action
Read about all of the 2015 Thriving Schools Honor Roll Champions here.